What is a Barndominium?
- A barndominium is a metal sheathed home that contains a “barn” or shop style that is constructed into a home or warehouse. Some may be as simple as an apartment or weekend home, while others are as elaborate as an everyday family home.
What is the Benefit of a Barndominium?
- The appeal to building a barndominium is that these homes are extremely energy efficient, low maintenance and cost-effective. Additionally, at one point the government would give metal building homeowners tax breaks for their energy efficiency. Barndominiums can be built quicker and cheaper based on the client’s size, style and selections chosen. Finally, the metal exterior makes for an extended lifetime on homes in any climate.
Typical Design & Architectural Elements of a Barndominium Include:
- Stained Concrete Floors
- Spray Foam Insulation
- High Ceilings (can be cathedral, vaulted, or gambrel)
- Energy Efficient Windows
- One Level (however we build both 1 and 2 story barndominiums)
There are no set specifications, the sky is the limit! The size depends on lot conditions and locations.
- Living area starts at 120-130 sq. ft.
- Barn area starts at 60 sq. ft.
- Typically two bedrooms
- No pre-set floor plans – it’s dependent on your needs and specifications
Barndominiums can be built as a home, warehouse, entertainment area, garage or workshop. LMR Builders have experience building barndominiums for all applications. If you are interested in a new construction or remodel of a barndominium, contact us today!